Monday, January 5, 2015

It must be Monday. What a dumb day.

Over Christmas break my sister made me a playlist for my upcoming chemotherapy adventure.  One line from a Shania Twain song, on the playlist, sums my feelings up nicely. "It must be Monday. What a dumb day."  Mondays are the worst aren't they?  Especially when you have to go back to real life after a nice, long holiday break.  The anticipation of today was particularly daunting for me because I started my first round of chemotherapy today.  I was diagnosed with breast cancer-ductal carcinoma in situ, Stage 0 on Oct. 1, 2014 and underwent a bilateral mastectomy on Oct. 28th.  At that time the doctors discovered that my breast cancer was stage 1.  After a few more tests the oncologist recommended 4 rounds of chemotherapy to increase my odds of the cancer not coming back.  I decided to take his recommendation.  He said that I will lose my hair and gain a little weight from the steroids.  I joked that cancer was trying to turn me into a fat, bald man by taking my breasts, my hair, and to top it off I get to gain weight.  Yeah! Just what every woman wants to hear.  
Today was the start of the unknown chemotherapy adventure that I get to take.  I'm like an explorer charting new territory.  Not really, I am more like a scared bunny rabbit thrown into a snake pit.  The chemotherapy actually wasn't as bad as I was anticipating.  The nurse, Jenny, set me up with an IV (that was the worst part), then she dripped Benadryl, steroids, anti-nausea, and chemo drugs into my body for about 4 hours.  I read a little, got tired, ate a snack, took a nap, checked my email, asked Dane to get me Jimmy Johns and tampons (of course I start my period today...out of all the days of the month, my Aunt Flow came to visit today.  How convenient!), ate my turkey slim, and then it was time to go home.  Not too bad.  We will see how I am feeling tomorrow. 

2 comments:

  1. Love you Erin! Mondays are horrible but I think this one goes down in the record book! You are in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erin, you're amazing. No matter how much hair you lose , you will never look like a middle aged bald fat man. You are way too gorgeous! May you continually have courage! Love you.

    ReplyDelete